I am thrilled to announce the beginning of the 21st Century Club at Dorothy Grant Elementary! In this very special club we will focus on teaching students the 21st Century Skills they need as children of the information age. Specifically we will focus on the following International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) standards for students:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Communication and Collaboration
- Research and Information Fluency
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
- Digital Citizenship
- Technology Operations and Concepts
The first phase of our 21st Century Club will focus on Minecraft and game based learning. This opportunity is open to all 3rd through 5th graders as a distance learning experience. That means students will be connecting to the club from home. The following are required to participate:
- Reliable home computer with
MinecraftEDUMinecraft installed (MinecraftEDU will not be used after all, regular Minecraft will.) This is different than the commercial Minecraft client. The MinecraftEDU client will be sent to students in the club once all requirements have been met.
- Reliable home internet
- A Minecraft account ($26.95)
or a MinecraftEDU account ($18) With commercial Minecraft, the account is yours to keep. With MinecraftEDU, you are borrowing the account.
- Skype (for audio communication)
- Edmodo (online classroom)
- Students do not need to sign up for another Edmodo account if they already have one.
- A group join code will be sent once all requirements have been met.
- Permission slip with parent and teacher signatures
The Minecraft Club will take place on Thursdays from 4pm to 5pm. Our first meeting is Thursday, September 10th.
If you are interested in this opportunity for your child, please email me your child’s name and their teacher’s name. A permission slip will then be sent to them for completion along with further instructions.
4th Grade Teacher & Technology Coach